Resources that help with mental health
Hey Connect Legends!
Another week, another post from us (The Connect Leadership Crew) to you (CanTeen Connect legends).
This week, we want to chat a bit about mental health. Can be a tough thing to talk about sometimes, right? We get it, sometimes things can get tough… maybe things are tough right now or maybe they’ve been tough before. Wherever you’re at, whatever you’re feeling, know that we care and there’s people out there who can help.
With the current state of the world right now, I know I’ve caught myself in some pretty negative thought patterns. So I am finding it more important than ever to make sure I look after myself (eat, sleep, drink water) and take time for myself when I start feeling a bit low (cup of tea in the sun, anyone?).
But sometimes, that’s not quite enough and it’s time to look for some additional tools or support. There’s an endless amount of resources available out there, but we’ve created a list of a few below.
- Head to Health (https://headtohealth.gov.au)
- Mental Health Foundation of NZ (https://www.mentalhealth.org.nz)
- IDon’tMind (https://idontmind.com)
- Headspace (https://headspace.org.au)
- Black Dog Institute (https://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au)
- ReachOut (https://au.reachout.com) and ReachOut Forums (https://forums.au.reachout.com)
- Beyond Blue (https://www.beyondblue.org.au)
- Lifeline (https://www.lifeline.org.au)
- R U OK? (https://www.ruok.org.au)
- QLife (https://qlife.org.au/resources)
- Headspace (https://www.headspace.com/headspace-meditation-app)
- Smiling Mind (https://www.smilingmind.com.au)
Self Care strategies:
Our amazing friend and teammate @GeorgiaB_04-ConnectLeader has posted about self care strategies recently (https://canteenconnect.org/discussions/what-are-you-doing-for-self-care), so would definitely recommend jumping on that thread and contributing! Here are some self care strategies that we like to use.
- Go for a walk
- Spend time with your pets or animals
- Get back into nature
- Yoga with Adriene (https://m.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene)
- Take some time for yourself
- Have your favourite drink or food
- Reach out to a friend or family member
- Whatever you do, do it for you.
This list is by no means exhaustive. So we’d love to hear who/what/where you turn to when it’s time to look after your mental health. Of course, the awesome staff here at CanTeen are always available if you need somebody to talk to as well :)